Tuesday 25 October 2011

A driver's greatest fear?

I was eating breakfast when I came across a story in the local paper that caught my eye.

The title of the story stated "drivers live in fear of breakdowns" and was written in response to a survey conducted by a car insurance company.

Interesting to note that this survey was conducted by one insurance provider, rather than several as a group. I wonder how much this insurance company paid the newspaper to advertise for them? Do potential customers get discount insurance quotes? 

Anyhow, back to the word "fear". My interpretation and understanding of fear is, being afraid of someone or something that you don't know or don't understand, which leads to the following question.

Why would someone be afraid of their car breaking down in traffic, when chances are likely, that the driver is already aware of an issue (or issues) with their car and continued to drive it regardless?

Cars do not just suddenly break down or fail, there is ALWAYS a reason why break downs occur. Usually its neglect.

I would be more afraid of my car breaking down in the middle of nowhere where there is no mobile phone coverage and without anyone passing by to help, rather than in traffic, am I alone in thinking this way?

Moral of the story is, if you have a problem, get it checked and fixed. Don't simply ignore it unless you want to risk being stranded.

No comments:

Post a Comment